Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fears, tears, and cheers!!!

Today was "B" day in Clemville (braces). The alarm went off at 7:45, and I rolled over hitting snooze feeling excited, but dreading the morning. Excited because this is the day Madison starts the braces journey to a beautiful smile. HOWEVER... Dreading what Madison would say when she got up from a long sleep.

As I expected, Madison was crying from the moment her sweet feet hit the ground. All morning was spent making breakfast, getting both kids ready, and trying to assure Madison it won't be bad. She was not convinced and was so upset she could not eat, and her stomach was hurting.

We left for the office of doom but first we dropped Evan off at the Wells brothers house! I figured Rachel has 3 boys what's 1 more??? No, really Rachel was such an angel to take Evan for me so I could focus all of my attention on Madison. For this I truly thank you Rachel. (we will touch on Evan in a bit)

I told Madison to get all of her crying out now because when we get to the ortho she had to stop. I explained to her that if she is crying she may scare some of the other kids, and also Dr. Kay can not do her job and may decide not to put them on you.

Remember me bragging on the whole no more than 10 minute policy in the waiting room. Well on the day that I bothered Rachel to watch Evan, they were running behind. One of the clinicians had the nerve to have her baby last week, and was not back to work already??? So this time Madison got her wish to prolong the waiting time!

It was finally our turn and as we walked back with Madison clutching her mouse in one hand, and holding my hand with the other her eyes started to water. There was no sound, and you could see her holding, fighting back the urge to cry with everything her little body had. I felt so bad for her so I teared up too!

I don't' know who scheduled the little 9 yr. old girl next to us for the same time and day, but THANK YOU!!!!!! This little girl finished up and visited with Madison telling her it didn't hurt at all, and it will be ok. SCORE, TOUCHDOWN, GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MIRACLE? Maybe, but whatever it was, helped. Madison was nervous putting the spacers around the back teeth, and then it was smooth sailing from there! We were told how to take care of her teeth and how she can earn cool prizes if she keeps her teeth brushed, flossed, and her brackets, and wire in good shape.

As we left Madison told me she really enjoyed Evan not being with us! Which I understand, Madison and I never have alone time. When I am suppose to be focusing on her, I am always chasing after Evan. Then she asked me if I thought she earned a Webkinz? And you know what??? I did! Here she is at 7 with major work needing to be done on her teeth and gums for the next how many years? She was a trooper, so we went to Playville to pick out a new friend. As luck would have it there was a sign in the window 40% off select Webkinz! She chose a Kangaroo (which was not on sale, but it was so cute I could not say no), and a Schnauzer that was $5!!

We left there to go pick up Evan from having the time of his life, and Madison says do we have to go get him? I really like just being with you, can we go to the mall? Yes, she said mall, and while I was tempted, being a Mom means sacrifice, and responsibility so, we roll up to the Wells' house, and as the door bell rung you could see Micah, Conner, and Evan standing at the door ready to let us in. Rachel said Evan did great, so I asked her if she was lying to me, but she said no. It looked, and sounded like things went well. Then Rachel drops a bomb on me....Evan loves corny dogs, and ate it!!!! WHAT???? Let me tell you how this conversation goes at my house.

Me - Do you want a corn dog?
E - Noee
Me - Why?
E - Because I don't love it (thank you Carrie)!!!

Isn't it funny how kids treat everyone else in the world different? Rachel said that Evan told her that he loves corn dogs, and he loves her. Now that is just plain sweetness, and southern charm wrapped up in one.



With my OCD issues I can say Madison will have the cleanest teeth in the world. We brushed her teeth like 10 times today, because after every meal you are suppose to brush. She is suppose to floss and use Listerine. The ortho gave her a kit of tools to use at school after she eats lunch, and she chose purple since they did not have pink.



This is what she earns at every visit to get prizes. You get dollars for being on time (no problem, OCD), keeping your teeth clean (no problem, OCD), wearing your ortho t-shirt (no problem, OCD), having nothing broken (can't promise anything on this one) Are you down with OCD? ya you know ME!!!!!!!!!


Thank goodness Madison has not felt any pain or discomfort so she went to cheer tonight. I was telling her not to run up to everybody showing off her braces, because with this crowd she will get a bunch of so whats, and junk. I told her to just go in normal, and let them come to you. Then I told her when they come to you to just act calm, and say I got them this morning. She did just what I told her, and it worked!!! Most of the other girls thought it was really cool, and gave her hugs, and nobody teased her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did tell her that people would tease her, and it doesn't matter, they are just words, and yes words hurt, but what matters is what she knows to be true within her......but in my head (and yes this is bad) I was thinking I wish she could say yes I may have braces, and yes they look funny, but one day they will come off, but your ugly never will. Sorry that's just the rebel coming out in me!! I hate kids getting teased period!!!

And here she is..........



This evening Madison told us that she feels so much better about herself, and was very happy about her teeth now.

I know this was a long post thanks for reading.....

2 comments:

Rachel said...

My goodness, THAT is a tool kit!!

Madison, you are beautiful as ever.

Evan, you can come over and eat corny dogs anytime.

Love you guys!

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

Madison you are so brave! I'm glad that they don't hurt. What a cool system getting Daniel Dollars for being responsible. Can't wait to see the new Webkins.