Thursday, June 26, 2008

Blue rubber bands, and tears...

Today was O-day at our house. (orthodontist) Madison woke up crying this morning because she was scared of getting her bands on. She was sick to her stomach all day, could not eat a single thing, watched movies, and I decided to paint her nails for her.

It was finally time to leave the house when she asks me if we can go to Starbucks so she can have a cookie??? Um, hello....YES! Now I have a reason to go.....thank you thank you thank you..... Madison took about 4 bites, and she was done which was a good thing because we were in the parking lot of the ortho.

You know how you go to the dentist and it takes forever for them to call you back so your 3:20 appt. becomes your 4:40 appt? Well Dr. Kay is way too organized, and by the time you sit down they are already calling your name. They have a wait no more than 10 minute policy, not bad for parents, but for scared kids putting off the inevitable not so good. Madison starts playing with the video games telling me they will take a while, when you can hear Madison Clem ringing through out the waiting area.

We start off in a room signing contracts, blah, blah, blah....A nice lady comes for Madison to start her x-rays. After 5 minutes I join her in the back as she completes her films. So far so good. The next step is digital pics. no problem..........

The lady picks up plier looking things with a little blue rubber band around the tip. Houston we have a problem! The lady would start to go towards her back teeth, and my baby would gently push her hand out of her mouth. Second try same thing. This lady was so very nice, so she told Madison she could put them on with dental floss. Madison agreed to that, and to me holding her hands down.

Everybody knows Madison is 7. Let me tell you if I had a lady shoving a rubber band between my molar, and my other tooth (at the age of "21") I would not have been as nice as Madison about it!! She did well, but it did hurt her. She did cry, her gums did bleed, but when she asked the lady if she was bleeding I quickly cut everyone off and said NO! I looked at the lady, and she knew to back me up, so she said oh honey no.


So now that the bands are in as snug as a bug in a rug no peanut butter for two weeks, or we will have to repeat this process. AND I can tell you that won't happen for both of our sakes.

You promise we are all done?


Do you want to see? No thanks!!!!


The ride home was very quiet. I don't think either of us knew what to say so we just enjoyed radio Disney, and left it at that. When we got home Madison got on the computer to play Webkinz, and I started making dinner (mashed potatoes for Madison). While in the kitchen I heard this little voice ever so sweetly ask for some cold ice cream because her teeth hurt really bad. I of course said YES!! I got her some vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup, and she ate happily. I know she will milk that for a couple of days, and that is ok. Her cheeks did swell up a little bit, but Motrin did help her out.

Yes I had the camera with me at the ortho. today, and yes people looked at me like I was a total goof, but you know what I could care less. It helped me cope, and it did make Madison giggle that I was taking pics. of her in "the chair" and that is all that matters!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, Madison, you are so brave!! I love the "are we done yet?" pic. Enjoy that ice cream!

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

What an awsome Mom you are Ang. It is so hard to grow up. My grandma always told me that sometimes you have to "suffer to be beautiful". Those bands really do hurt especially at night when you're trying to sleep. Thanks for sharing your day!