Sunday, June 22, 2008

From back hand springs to braces...

As the "the Bug" passes I wanted to share some things with you that happened this week.

Madison had another private lesson with her coach. Madison is excited she is getting better, and loves doing cheer.




Ever since Madison was 3 the dentist said she would have braces. We all thought ok whatever, she is only 3 how can you tell. Well I guess they can after all. Madison had her 2nd orthodontist appt. on Thursday, and Dr. Kay told us we need to go ahead and get phase 1 braces on her now. Dr. Kay said her teeth are worse than other kids her age. After several appts. she will have her top braces put on 7/10. She will have her braces on for a year, then will get a retainer put on for 2 years. During this 2 years she will need gum surgery. Her teeth look like they are half way in, well we found out Thursday they aren't! They are all of the way in her gums are so thick, and cover half of her tooth, so we will have to fix them. After the 2 years are up, and her gums are fixed Madison will get her full set top and bottom braces to fix her bite.

I know this is probably nothing to most people, but I have never had a single thing wrong with my teeth, so this is crazy to me. I am sad for her, scared for her, etc... I don't want kids to make fun of her, or for her to dislike the way she looks. They told us for the next week that she needs to eat as much as she possibly can of things like popcorn, hard candies, gum, etc... So, this girl has been doing just that! Popcorn is the big problem!! She is very sad about that buttery, salty goodness. So now our new rules are popcorn has to be hidden in the house. Popcorn can only be eaten when she is at school, or in bed, and at the movies we have to change our snack.


I know we will get through this journey, I just wish it didn't have to be her!!

I hope to see most of you this week......

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, Ang... Oh, Maddie... Sorry you're already having to do braces. I have to tell you, though -- I had them for a couple of years and was never once made fun of. In fact, so many kids ended up with braces that it was almost the cool thing to do. They do hurt sometimes, and there are some foods that you miss...but the smile at the end is worth it. Madison, you are beautiful girl!!

Carrie Brown said...

Yeah Madison for the back hand spring!!!! And I have to say, though I never had a retainer or braces, all of my friends did, and I secretly wanted them too. I used to get those wax candies with the syrup in the middle and suck out the syrup then mold the wax to my mouth like a big retainer and wear it like that for the whole school day so that I would talk like I had a retainer...Okay, I was a geek, but I think Madison will fit right in with the cool kids!

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

I had braces when I was in Jr. High and they were off when I was a freshman and then looked beautiful for when it was time to impress the boys. Don't fret! My parents could barely afford them and I'm so thrilled that they made it possible. Maddy is already cute as can be with a lovely heart to match. I can sympathize with the short lived pain braces cause but it'll be well worth it! Just get used to the phrase "Open Wide"!